The City School's Data Snapshot 2017
By The Numbers:
- 896 youth engaged in our programming
- 84 core youth participants
- 96% graduation rate (80/84 youth completed all requirements of the program)
Participants by Race:
- Asian 13%
- Black 55%
- Latina/o 25%
- White 7%
Participants by Gender:
- Women 58%
- Men 36%
- Genderqueer 5%
Participants by Type of School:
- Public (urban) 86%
- Private 5%
- Public (suburban) 5%
- Alternative school 2%
- 93% of our youth are Boston residents, with 7% from surrounding suburbs
- 18% of our youth are court-involved
- 7% identify as LGBTQ
The City School’s mission is to develop and strengthen youth to become effective leaders for social justice. To live our mission and achieve our impact, we hold ourselves accountable to the following four outcome areas:
- 96% increased their facilitation skills.
- 94% of participants increased their skills in curriculum development.
- 91% increased their public speaking skills.
Social Justice Education:
- 93% challenge racism, sexism, classism and heterosexism in society.
- 95% increased their understanding of race, class, gender and sexual orientation.
- 95% increased their critical thinking skills.
- 84% are confident and ready to take action to address community issues.
Academics and Future:
- 95% plan on attending college after high school.
- 95% were committed to achieving academically.
- 87% have a plan for their future.
- 95% built trusting relationships with youth across difference.
- 93% are able to identify indicators of a healthy relationship.
- 89% built trusting relationships with staff mentors.